Living among women  

Posted by Ashutosh

I grew up in a household where women outnumbered men. There was my bua (my father’s sister), my three elder cousin sisters, my taiji, my late grandmother, and of course, my mother. That amounts to seven women. Men included my father, my tauji (that is, my father’s elder brother) and myself. Women: men = 7:3; the sex ratio was seriously skewed.
My father and tauji usually came home late after work, and therefore, during the twilight hours of the evening, the women and girls of my house assembled for these feminist discussions. I being the little boy, still grappling for my identity, was included in their midst. The discussions ranged from politics, the role of women in India, to their personal anecdotes on womanhood. Very often, men were targeted. Men: the lousy, no-good, egotistical beings, roaming the realms of the earth for gratification of the self; the usual male bashing. I would hear this everyday and once I asked “What about me?” There was silence and then there were the ‘Awws’. The discussion was resumed, oblivious of my very male presence. My burgeoning-ego felt offended. I raised another question “am I that bad?” One of my elder sister slipped the answer, “Oh honey, its not your fault, its just men”. Well that did it. Frigging identity crisis. If I knew the art of sarcasm then, I would have said, “Yeah, that solves all my problems.”
Things weren’t always this bad though; there were ways, through which, my self-esteem was compensated. Once I baked a cake when I was ten: a gooey one, precariously holding itself against the force of bad cooking. I presented it among the women of my family and there were applause, standing ovations, pats on the back and pulling of my rubbery cheek; a parade of pampering. I never knew that my poor culinary skills would be the cause of such celebration, but among women, even my feeble and failed attempts at grasping the world were appreciated.
As things stand, I would be leaving my house, my country soon. Somehow, living among women, witnessing their gentleness and sensitivity and thriving in the aura of their strong-willed feminism, will be missed the most.

This entry was posted on Thursday, July 9, 2009 at Thursday, July 09, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

8 comments

Dang. If I'd read this a few years back, I would've probably just ignored it. Now, I can properly feel bad.

July 9, 2009 at 2:54 AM
Anonymous  

Awww! Loved it! :D

July 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM
Anonymous  

true appreciation of living and growing up with women will come from your better half...

Every day will be a realisation for her of how lucky she is to be with you... she will be blessed with love and respect!

and she will surely not mind the half baked cake!!

August 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM

@Aditi: Thanks

@Anonymous: I have a sneaky feeling that you are one of the women mentioned in the blog

August 6, 2009 at 10:22 AM
Anonymous  

true a very touchy end...and a true story....

August 7, 2009 at 3:37 AM
Anonymous  

I really appreciate you, appreciating importance of women in your life..Most guys never accept the fact..:)
Bravo!.

August 9, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Haan saale, hum to chut*ye hai.

August 17, 2009 at 12:06 AM

This is what I love about your writing, appreciating small things in life.Observing emotions and describing them so genuinely.

August 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Post a Comment